Today, I am going to share how to make an easy mixed media art journal page perfect for beginners. I'll be sharing tips and tricks along the way which will help you make your very own creation! This design can easily be made into a greeting card or even a scrapbook layout.
I've used the Hello Gorgeous Stamp and Die Set as the focus for my art journal page. I have used Embossing Paste with the On the Plus Side Stencil and Metallic Shimmer Sprays to create the distressed and textured background.
Top Tip: When working with wet mediums, for example the Metallic Shimmer Sprays I would recommend using Altenew's Watercolor Paper because the thicker paper will warp less.
For more detailed instructions with voiceover, you can watch how I made this mixed media art journal page in the video below! Feel free to watch it on Altenew’s YouTube Channel HERE:
1. Cut Watercolor Paper down into half making a 6″ x 9″ page. You can work directly into an art journal if you have one! I prefer using loose sheets which I can glue into my journal after I am finished!
2. Apply Embossing Paste through On the Plus Side Stencil with a palette knife, feathering the edges on opposite corners of the page. Dry thoroughly with a heat tool or let it air dry. As I usually work on multiple art journal pages at the same time, this allows me to let my mediums dry naturally!
Top Tip: Using a heat tool to dry the Embossing Paste will result in a more “raised” texture as it will bubble up when heated.
3. Shake Warm Sunshine Metallic Shimmer Spray until the mica has mixed completely. The mica tends to settle at the bottom of the bottle. This is why there is a mixing ball inside the bottle to help with the mixing!
Then, spritz at an angle over the dried Embossing Paste. Spraying at an angle and from further away gives a lighter and more airy look to the Shimmer Spray. Dry completely with a heat tool.
Top Tip: Try not to cover the whole page and leave some white space showing! Negative space can become a pleasing focal element too and makes the layout of the journal more cohesive.
4. Sparingly apply embossing ink over the Embossing Paste and sprinkle with clear embossing powder. Flick off some of the powder to give a distressed effect. You might need to rub off some of the excess powder with your fingers. Heat set and emboss with a tool. This will lock in some of the colors from the Warm Sunshine Shimmer Spray.
5. Use Ocean Waves Metallic Shimmer Spray at an angle on all four corners of the page and dry it. Wipe off some of the Ocean Waves Spray from the embossing to reveal the yellow from the Warm Sunshine Spray.
Top Tip: Use Spray colors that blend well together to form a secondary color. This will give a more beautiful blended effect.
6. Add splatters using a paintbrush with Jet Black Ink Spray.
Top Tip: Make sure to dry in between each layer for more contrast in mediums! This will also help to prevent colors getting “muddy.”
7. Stamp the larger flower from Hello Gorgeous Stamp Set and Permanent Black Ink on a piece of heavy cardstock. You can use the A2-sized loose Watercolor Sheets as well.
8. I wanted a longer stem for my flower for my art journal page. To do this, I partially die cut the flower using the matching Die Set by overhanging the die over the edge of the cutting plate.
9. Extended the stem of the flower with a black pen. Cut it with scissors, making sure to leave a white border.
10. Color in flower using Limeade and Midnight Violet Watercolor Brush Markers from the Spring Garden Watercolor Brush Markers Set blending it out with a medium tip Watercolor Brush.
I love using this method to color with the Watercolor Brush Markers as it makes the image look a bit like it's glowing!
11. Using a MISTI stamp tool the word “Beautiful” from the Hello Gorgeous Stamp Set with Permanent Black Ink onto the art journal page.
13. Cut the word “DAY” with black card stock with Fine Alphabet Die Set twice and glue matching pieces together for thickness.
14. Glue down the word “DAY” underneath the stamped “Beautiful” sentiment on the art journal page.
15. Adhere the die-cut flower to the art journal page with foam tape.
Top Tip: You can add other elements to the embossing paste while it is still wet like micro-beads or glitter for extra interest.
I hope you all enjoyed my project and give it a go! Mixed media is fun and easy, and complete freedom for me to play with my beautiful supplies and experiment to my heart's content.
If you have any questions about my project or have a query, please leave a comment below!
Take care and I hope you have a great day!