Hello everyone! Please welcome our very first Guest Designer of 2022, Terri Koszler. Terri will be sharing how to create a gorgeous succulent wreath.
I am sure you already know Terri from the Altenew Fan Group as she has managed that group single-handedly for many years now. Terri is also an Altenew Certified Educator and just recently joined the Altenew Card Design Team and we couldn't be more excited when she agreed to guest design here on the Altenew Mixed Media Blog.
Let's hear it from Terri herself and read how she created the succulent wreath.
Get to know Terri
Hey there crafty friends, I am super excited to be here as a guest on the Altenew Mixed Media blog. I don’t often get the time or chance to share my non-card projects, so I am really hoping that you like this succulent wreath that I created.
I have been crafting for 19 years and in that time, I’ve tried most things but I always come back to card making and papercraft projects. My style is usually very clean and simple but I have been known to dabble into the mixed media world.
I trained as a teaching assistant 7 years ago as I love to help others learn and improve their skills. I have been an Altenew Educator since 2018. I love to share my projects on Instagram @altenew_planner_girl and my blog www.terrikoszler.blogspot.com
DIY Succulent Wreath Decor
I have created a succulent wreath using the Succulent Layering Die Set and Altenew’s Metallic Shimmer Ink Sprays to share with you today. I started by coloring some heavy-weight cardstock with ink sprays. I find that if you spritz the cardstock with water first you can create some really interesting pattern designs. I used Cosmic Berry Shimmer Ink Spray on one sheet of cardstock, and on the other, I used Mountain Mist and Frayed Leaf. I used a heat gun to dry them, this gives the added benefit of being able to move the wet ink around a little.
Once dry, I die cut the Layered Succulent dies from both colors of cardstock. I created large and small succulents by mixing the layers around to suit my project.
I used a ball tool and a foam mat to shape the layers before adhering them with silicone glue.
While the glue was setting, I drew out a wreath shape on some cardboard, to do this I used two dinner plates, one larger than the other, and then cut it out with scissors. Next, I added some strong double-sided tape to both sides of the wreath base and set about wrapping it with garden twine, it’s really important to keep the string tight and tidy as you go.
Then I decided to cut some small filler foliage using the Branches and Berries Die Set, I cut them from the leftover ink sprayed cardstock so that they would coordinate. I added the large succulent and two smaller ones to the lower left of the wreath with silicone glue and then arranged the small filler pieces, the joy of silicone glue is that you can just push the smaller items under the succulents and the glue grabs it but also gives you time to move things around slightly.
I decided that the wreath needed another clutter in the upper right to balance it, so I added one large succulent and a few of the Branches and Berries die-cuts. I placed a hanging loop at the top using twine to make a Lark’s Head knot.
Thank you for stopping by today, I hope you enjoyed my project post.
WOW! That is such a wonderful succulent wreath, Terri! I love the rustic look of the wreath and the cupped succulents too! Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer and for sharing this amazing wreath with us! We hope that you will be back here soon!
Please let Terri know how much you liked her project by leaving some love for her in her comments. Thank you so much for stopping by!