Hello, crafty people! It's time to welcome a fabulous Guest Designer for May, and we have the lovely Karen Brown here with us today!
Karen is a Certified Educator and she loves to teach in-person classes! Today, Karen will show you how to create some absolutely wonderful tags! Let's hear it from Karen!
Get to know Karen
Hello everyone, Karen Brown here, and I am so pleased you stopped by!
I became a Certified Altenew Educator in 2020 and have loved working with Altenew and its wonderful products. I enjoy creating cards and mixed media projects and I also like to teach paper crafting workshops. When not crafting, I enjoy playing tennis, dog-walking, traveling, and getting together with girlfriends. I am so honored and excited to be guesting here at Altenew!
Karen's Terrific Tags
Don't you just love bright summery colors? I've been thinking about making a shimmery rainbow-hued tag set, and I thought now was a perfect time. Recently, I started making my own glitter cardstock, and I have been loving the subtle sparkle it adds to my projects!
The process is easy and fun…all you need is some ink and Altenew Iridescent Shimmer Ink Spray.
How to Make Your Own Glitter Cardstock (for the tags):
- I taped some watercolor paper to the hardboard and brushed water over the surface with a #18 brush.
- Next, I mixed Altenew Dye Inks with Iridescent Shimmer Ink Spray (no water was added) and I painted the mixture on wet watercolor paper. I wanted an intense color so I applied three layers but I didn’t bother to let it dry in between.
- I stamped, colored, and die cut a bunch of floral elements from Altenew's Doodle Blooms Stamp and Die Bundle.
- I let my shimmer panels dry overnight so that they would die-cut well, but you could speed up the drying with your heat tool.
Next, I die cut my tags using the largest die from Altenew's Terrific Tags Die Set and worked on my layouts.
To finish off the cards, I added an Enamel Dot to each flower center.
The background is so pretty in person, but it's hard to see the sparkle in the photos so I added a quick video below.
I love how the tags turned out, so I’ve included some close-up photos.
Here is a detailed list of the inks used:
- Ocean Waves + Dusk from the Cool Summer Night Collection
- Coral Berry + Cotton Candy
- Orange Cream
- Puffy Heart + Purple Wine + Cosmic Berry from the Rose Petal Collection
- Grass Field
The tags are so happy and cheerful together and I think they would make a great gift for a friend.
OMG! Karen! These are SO adorable!!! We love them! Love the colors, the flowers, and all the sparkle! Thank you so much, Karen, for being our May Guest Designer. We really hope to see you here again with your gorgeous creations!