Hello, crafty friends! Today is special as we have Nenette Madero as our August 2022 Guest Designer.
Nenette is not new to Altenew; you must have seen her work featured several times. Nenette is also an Altenew Certified Educator and hosts regular in-person workshops. Today, Nenette will share with us how to create some beautiful mixed media tags. But first, let's get to know her a bit.
Get to know Nenette
Hello from the Philippines, my crafty friends! This is Nenette Madero. Ever since I can remember, I have always loved crafting, especially with paper. I started scrapbooking 22 years ago when my eldest was born. In 2014, I chanced upon Altenew’s website and was hooked. I began creating cards, and then, in 2018, I joined the Altenew Educator Certification Program and became the first Altenew Educator from Asia shortly after.
Since then, I’ve been giving face-to-face and online workshops to the local crafting community and was honored to be a part of the first Craft Your Life Retreat. I find so much joy in sharing what I know and discover, but I also make sure never to stop learning new things. Aside from making layouts and cards, I also enjoy creating mixed media artwork, watercolor painting, alcohol ink art, and styling events. I am blessed with a loving and supportive husband, three wonderful children, and a fur baby named Monty.
Nenette's Mixed Media Tags
I’m honored to be invited as a guest designer for the Altenew Mixed Media Blog. Altenew has many beautiful 3D embossing folders, and I wanted to show you how easy it is to create shabby chic tags using the embossing folders. Here are the steps:
- Die-cut tags from mixed media cardstock using Terrific Tags Die.
- Add Gesso to the entire surface of the tags using a stiff brush. Dry with a craft tool.
- Emboss the tags using the Sylvan Baroque, Seasonal Blooms, and the Book Cover Engravings 3D embossing folders. Emboss the edges of the tag only.
- Spray the tags with water-based dye inks and add water-reactive ink splatters. Use water to move the pigments.
- Re-emboss the tags.
- Add embossing ink to the embossed surfaces of the tags and emboss with Rose Gold Embossing Powder.
- Remove excess powder with a brush before embossing with a heat tool.
- Stamp and emboss the sentiments from the Bold Sentiments Stamp Set.
- Attach the sentiments with foam strips.
You can watch the video on how I created these mixed media tags here:
It’s best to choose 3D embossing folders with some space around the design so that you have more room to reposition the tags and leave some white space for the sentiments.
Pair the tag with plain, textured wrapping paper so that the design and colors of the tag will stand out more.
GOODNESS! These are SO gorgeous, Nenette! Thank you so much for sharing this with Altenew fans! We are sure they will get to crafting as soon as they are done watching your video! Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer and sharing your incredible talent with our readers.
Please leave a bit of love for Nenette in the comments and check out her process video to find out how she created her gorgeous DIY project! And don't forget to give her a follow on Instagram and check out her blog. Thank you for reading!